Whether you’ve been with your partner for two weeks, two years, or two decades, there are likely some things that you don’t know about him or her. Part of keeping things fresh and interesting involves exploring new things together and learning new things about one another.
As we learn new things about our partner, we are given the opportunity to fall in love with them all over again and increase our emotional connection, which leads to deeper intimacy and better sex. Furthermore, listening and allowing someone the opportunity to be heard increases their self esteem and confidence, which may make them more open to trying new things in the sheets.
A fun and simple way to build intimacy with your partner is to ask them questions. Keep a vase or bowl of questions on your kitchen table and choose one at random to answer each night while you’re having dinner together.
If you are in a long distance relationship, perhaps you pick a question to answer at the start of each FaceTime or Skype call you have.
Maybe you and your partner work on opposite schedules, so spending a few minutes per day answering these questions will help to keep your connection growing, despite the inability to spend much time together.
Here are a few to get your question bowl started.
- What is the one thing you’ve always wanted to try in bed but never have?
- If money and time off were not a factor and you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What is one moment that has shaped you into the person you are today?
- If we won $10 million in the lottery, what would you want to spend it on?
- What is your love language? Does it differ when showing love versus receiving?
- What is one thing I can do to make your daily life easier?
- What is the most impactful book you have ever read?
- If you had to go on one television game show, what would it be?
- What would you do with your time if you no longer needed to work?
- What are five things that you are grateful for at this moment?
At the end of the day, an incredible sex life is build upon a foundation of intimacy and connection between partners, both of which rely on great communication and aligning your emotional states.
By continuing to get to know one another throughout the duration of your relationship, you open the door to new emotional attunements and opportunities to fall in love with each other’s minds every day.